Tips to Avoid Sagging Stomach After Pregnancy
Having a baby can have lasting health benefits; however, one of the biggest changes a mom experiences is her body. Post-pregnancy, many women find that their stomachs are sagging and deflated. Although this is a normal part of the process, there are tips that can help you avoid sagging stomach after pregnancy. In this article, we’ll provide insight into how you can keep your stomach flat and strong.
1. Introduction to Sagging Stomach After Pregnancy
Having a sagging stomach after pregnancy can be a major concern for many expecting mothers. However, there are several strategies that expecting mothers can take to help them avoid it.
Below are a few tips to help avoid a sagging stomach after pregnancy:
- Stay Hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help reduce bloating and keep your stomach toned and trimmed.
- Eat Healthily: Eating healthy and nutrient-rich foods can help boost your metabolism and energy levels- which can help you lose weight and combat sagging.
- Exercise Regularly: Try to maintain an exercise routine that includes light cardio activities like walking, swimming, and riding a bike to tone and tighten your stomach muscles.
- Get Enough Sleep: Make sure to get a good nights’ rest as this can help reduce stress and help keep your body in top shape for regaining or maintaining your figure.
- Boost Skin Elasticity: Using natural skin care products like coconut oil and aloe vera gel can help nourish and strengthen the elasticity of your skin which will be beneficial in avoiding sagging after pregnancy.
Following the tips mentioned above can help you keep your stomach toned, trim and fit after pregnancy.
2. Achieving a Balanced Diet
After a new mom gives birth, she should take a balanced approach to nutrition and include the following tips when trying to get back to her pre-pregnancy body:
- Increase Calcium & Vitamin D Intake. Eating foods that are packed with both calcium and vitamin D will help nutrition post-pregnancy. Doing so can help new moms to rebuild their bones and avoid a sagging stomach that could occur from post-pregnancy.
- Avoid Fizzy Drinks. Limiting fizzy drinks and choosing drinks that are purely hydration-based like water, herbal teas, and even sparkling water without added sugar can help new moms maintain their healthy weight. And water has added benefits of giving new moms a sense of hydration as a reminder to drink up.
- Focus on Balanced Meals. Although at times it can be a challenge, eating balanced meals that contain protein, carbs, and some good fats as well as vegetables and fruits is definitely the way to go. Eating meals that contain essential nutrients can help new moms maintain their strength and avoid a sagging stomach.
- Cut Down on Simple Carbs and Sugars. Maintaining a healthy weight after pregnancy is all about eating fewer calories than what you burn off in a day. Choose complex carbs such as whole grains and avoid simple carbs such as cakes, pastries, and other sugary snacks. Also, opt for fruit instead of candy.
- Eat Regularly and Don’t Skip Meals. It’s important for new moms to maintain a regular eating schedule to help jump-start the metabolism and avoid overeating. Eating small and regular meals throughout the day is key for new moms to avoid a sagging stomach.
3. Doing the Right Exercise
It is impossible to prevent your abdomen from stretching during pregnancy. However, doing the right set of exercises can help you reduce the sagging. There are a few exercises you can include in your post-pregnancy workout regime to regain your pre-pregnancy core strength.
- Plank: Plank targets your entire body, including your core. Hold your plank for 30 seconds and gradually work your way up to longer periods.
- Bicycle Crunches:Lie with your back on the floor and draw your knees to your chest. Touch your left elbow to your right knee and alternate for 20 reps.
- Crunches:One of the classic moves of ab workouts, crunches strengthen and tone your stomach muscles. Aim for 2 sets with 10 reps.
Additionally, a combination of exercises such as lunges, squats, and side planks will work to help tone your tummy. The important thing is to make sure that you perform the exercises correctly with the correct form and intensity.
4. Incorporating Stress Management
One of the best tips to avoid sagging stomach after pregnancy is to incorporate stress management into your routine. Stress can cause your belly to become bloated and tight, and that isn’t helpful when you’re trying to avoid sagging.
- Take time each day to relax and destress. Meditation, yoga, and deep breathing can all be helpful in de-stressing.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol, as they can disrupt sleep and cause stress to the stomach muscles.
- Try to get a good night’s sleep every night. Aim for at least 8 hours of sleep.
- Exercising regularly can help relieve tension in the stomach, while also helping you tone up.
- If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed, take a break and take some time to yourself.
Stress management should be an important part of any post-pregnancy plan you have. Take some time to care for yourself, de-stress, and incorporate the tips above to keep your belly looking its best!
5. Taking the Time to Heal and Learn What Works for You
It’s very important to take the time to heal and learn what works for you during and after your pregnancy. Your body has gone through a lot of changes, and it needs some love, attention, and rest to truly bounce back.
- Rest: Make sure you get plenty of rest when you can. Your body needs it to heal and for you to be able to function at your best.
- Diet: Focus on eating a balanced diet with plenty of protein, whole grains, and healthy fats. Avoid sugary treats and junk foods. Studies show that making healthier food choices can aid weight loss, which will help with your stomach.
- Exercise: Aim for light to moderate exercise for at least 30 minutes a day. Pilates, yoga, light aerobics, and swimming are all great exercises. They help strengthen your abdominal muscles and help tone your stomach.
- Hydrate: Drinking plenty of water helps to flush out toxins and can help reduce bloating. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
- Apparel: Wear supportive clothing and postpartum girdles to help keep everything in place. They can help with posture and make you more comfortable.
These tips can help you avoid sagging stomach after pregnancy, but remember that it’s still important to be gentle with your body and take the necessary time to heal. Give yourself time and be patient—it does get better.
Now that you know these tips on how to avoid sagging stomach after pregnancy, you can confidently start taking action and embracing your postpartum body! With dedication and perseverance, you can have a strong and toned abdomen as well as enjoy your new journey as a mom. Best of luck!