Everything You Need to Know About Yerba Mate Tea
Are you looking to learn more about yerba mate tea? If yes, you’re in luck because this article is packed with all the necessary information about yerba mate tea—from its history to the many ways you can enjoy it. Read on to learn everything you need to know about this delightful tea.
1. What is Yerba Mate Tea?
Yerba mate is an herbal tea made from the leaves and twigs of the yerba mate plant native to the South American Atlantic region. It has been consumed in the region for centuries and is highly revered for its many health benefits.
Yerba mate is also known for its energy-boosting and immune-boosting qualities, and some experts even suggest that it can help with cognitive functioning as well. It is usually prepared in a gourd or mug and sipped through a metal straw.
2. Health Benefits of Yerba Mate Tea
Yerba mate tea has made its way from its origins in South America to the shelves of supermarkets all around the world. The tea has been hailed for centuries for its incredible health benefits, and modern scientists have found numerous scientific reasons to back up the claims. Here are some of the health benefits:
- Full of Antioxidants: Yerba mate tea contains a significant amount of powerful antioxidants, which protect our bodies from the damage of free radicals. This means that drinking yerba mate tea can help protect you from cancer and other health issues.
- Boosts Immunity: Yerba mate tea is full of vitamins and minerals which help to boost the immune system. This can help to strengthen your body’s defense against the common cold and flu.
- Weight Loss: Yerba mate tea can help to increase your metabolism which can promote natural weight loss. It can also suppress your appetite, reducing the chances of over-eating.
- Good for Your Skin: Yerba mate tea is jam-packed with antioxidants that help to fight against the signs of aging. It can reduce wrinkles and keep your skin looking young and healthy.
- Improves Mood: The nutrients in yerba mate, such as vitamins and minerals, can help improve mood and mental clarity.
- Caffeine Content: Yerba mate contains more caffeine than most herbal teas, which is why it is often used as an alternative to coffee or tea.
These are just a few of the many health benefits of drinking yerba mate tea. There are many other benefits that this tea can provide, from improved digestion to an increased energy level. Clearly, the incredible medicinal properties of yerba mate tea make it a great addition to any health-conscious lifestyle.
3. How to Prepare Yerba Mate Tea
Yerba mate tea is a traditional South American beverage that’s known to have a few health benefits. Here are some tips on how to prepare your own yerba mate tea:
- Choose your ingredients: You’ll need yerba mate tea, hot water, and a gourd or calabash cup. Traditionally, you should be using loose-leaf yerba mate tea. You’ll also need a bombilla, which is a metal straw with a filter at one end that will extract the liquid from the leaves.
- Prepare the gourd: If you’re using a gourd, you’ll need to wet it with warm water before use. This will help the yerba mate leaves absorb better.
Once you’ve got all your ingredients ready, you can begin to make your yerba mate tea. Start by putting the yerba mate tea into the gourd lightly, about two-thirds of the way full.
Next, pour hot water into the gourd, taking care not to overflow it. Be sure to leave enough room for your bombilla. Allow the tea to sit for about thirty seconds before you drink it.
To drink your tea, slowly press the bombilla’s filter to the bottom or side of the gourd. Begin to suck slowly, making sure to avoid getting too much of the leaves in your mouth. As you drink, you’ll notice the tea getting weaker and weaker—this lets you know it’s time to add more hot water. You can do this several times until you’ve reached your desired taste.
4. How Much Yerba Mate Tea Should I Be Drinking?
When it comes to drinking yerba mate tea it’s all about finding the right balance. Generally, if you’re just starting out it’s recommended to drink two or three cups on a daily basis. If you are looking to drink more, around four to five cups daily is the maximum amount you should be drinking.
- Keep in mind that within each cup of yerba mate tea, there is a significant amount of caffeine (around 80mg of caffeine per cup).
- Overconsuming yerba mate tea can lead to insomnia, irritability, and other caffeine-related side effects.
On the other hand, while there are benefits to drinking yerba mate tea (increased concentration, improved digestion, sustained energy, etc), drinking too little can lead to the anticipation of feeling energized from the drink when none is felt.
It’s recommended to experiment with the amount you drink to get the most out of yerba mate tea while still remaining caffeine sensitive.
5. Tasty Ways to Enjoy Yerba Mate Tea
Yerba mate tea is a popular beverage from South America, and it’s packed with goodies like polyphenols that can help to reduce fatigue and improve digestion. It may also be helpful in boosting your energy levels and helping you stay focused. But how do you enjoy this tasty beverage?
Here are five ways to prepare a Yerba Mate Tea:
- The Traditional Way – To enjoy yerba mate tea the traditional way, steep one teaspoon of loose yerba mate in eight ounces of boiling water for about five minutes. You can then enjoy this beverage hot or cold, with a splash of your favorite sweetener and/or a few tablespoons of milk or cream.
- The Iced Version – To make a refreshing iced version, steep two teaspoons of yerba mate in one cup of boiling water for about five minutes. Strain and then chill the mixture in a refrigerator. Serve over ice with a few tablespoons of sweetener and/or a splash of milk or cream.
- Yerba Mate Latte – To make a yerba mate latte, steep one teaspoon of yerba mate in ¼ cup of boiling water for about four minutes. Then mix the steeped yerba mate with ¼ cup of frothed warmed milk and a tablespoon of sweetener.
- Yerba Mate Mojito – To make a yerba mate mojito, steep one teaspoon of yerba mate in one cup of boiling water for about five minutes and then strain. Combine the strained yerba mate with the juice of one lime and one tablespoon of sweetener and a few mint leaves. Serve over ice.
- Yerba Mate Chai – Another way to enjoy yerba mate tea is to make a chai version. Steep one teaspoon of yerba mate in one cup of boiling water, then strain and add in one cup of warmed milk, one tablespoon of sweetener, a scant teaspoon of ground cloves, one teaspoon of ground cumin, one teaspoon of ground ginger, and one-quarter teaspoon of ground cardamom. Simmer on low heat for five minutes before serving.
These are just five of the delicious ways to enjoy yerba mate tea. Why not experiment with different combinations of flavors and find your favorite way to enjoy this tasty treat?
So if you’re looking for a flavorful and refreshing tea while delivering a hearty dose of nutrients, Yerba Mate is your ideal choice! Whether it loose leaf or bagged, hot or cold, Yerba Mate offers a variety of experiences for every mood. Drink some today and find out why it’s not just a tea, but a lifestyle!
Also read: The Big Problem with Drinking Diet Soda